12.18.2013

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

Monday was the day I had been anticipating
for nearly six months....


I wrote a special message on the kitchen chalk board.
I went to the grocery store and bought the essentials.
I shaved my legs.


I cleaned the house and put clean sheets on the bed.
I washed the dog and moved my stuff out of his part of the closet.
I laid out my outfit and filled my car with gas.


I went to bed and woke up bright and early with butterflies in my stomach.
And...


Then my mother in law and I drove to the ferry an hour away.
Took it across Puget Sound and drove another 30 minutes to Everett Naval Base.
We met up with our oldest son, and found a spot on the wharf.


Tents and RV's were set up for the 157 babies who were born while
the USS NIMITZ was deployed. That's right, 157 babies that
were waiting to meet their daddy for the first time!


As the Carrier got closer and closer I started to wonder if any of the figures manning the rail was my husband. 
It takes about 600 sailors to stand the perimeter.
Its a spectacular sight to behold.

  

Once pierside,
the sounds of guns filled the air as the lines are shot from ship to pier.
Soon the brows will be set up and sailors will be aloud to 
exit this vast ship.
After nearly 9 months deployed, the winners of the "first kiss" raffle will be first.
Then, the new dads are the next to leave.


The gate to the pier finally opens up to everyone.
There is a flood of children with signs 
and moms with looks of anticipation and relief.
Girlfriends and fiances, parents and siblings watch with excitement.
The Patriot Riders stand proudly in support of our troops.
Hand held flags are waved in celebration.
The local media is there to capture the happy reunions.

We can see better now...
those figures on the flight deck.


Our sign is a huge 3 x 6 feet.
My husband spots us and starts waving his arms.
I recognize his stature.
I begin to jump up and down with arms flying.
I turn to my mother in law and ask
"Is that really him"?
She says YES as she and our son are waving too.
My eyes fill with tears as I see he is there...
He is REALLY there!



My eyes stay locked on his outline and he motions that he is coming down now.
I make my way to the brow and wait and wait and wait.
Dressed in their dress blues, all the officers look alike.
But finally, finally I see him come out of the side of the ship and make 
his way closer. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm!


Together at last!!!







Yes, its the most wonderful time of the year!

WELCOME HOME USS NIMITZ CVN 68 

Merry Christmas to each and every one of you!!

You can see amazing photo's of happy families





1 comment:

  1. Wonderful!
    Congratulations and WELCOME HOME to your Husband...and tell him, 'THANKS' for me. :) Pat

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know you stopped by!