3.15.2012

Rotten Apple.... Kitchen Before/Afters!!!!!



Hello Bloggy friends, 
or if you are here with me in the Northwest I should say
 SOGGY friends!

So sorry I have been absent for a LONG time!
My Apple (Mac) is being ROTTEN.
There is a short in the screen and so it only opens about 8 inches
before the screen turns black.
So, imagine typing with the laptop on its back (fold) and
resting the keyboard part on your stomach
trying to type straight down ....
and peeking under the top to see what you are actually typing.
I just have to say...its not working well.
Why not just go have it fixed?
Since the kitchen re-do my husband has put us on a 
strict budget....booooo the b word.
But its all for good.
I mean, I have fun money, but I'd rather buy flowers for the yard
or a pretty spring outfit,
ya know what Im sayin girls?
So...in the meantime, I will curl into a pretzel as I write.
Just bare (or is it bear, cuz Im not naked!) with me!

Oh..PINTREST!
I know Im a little late on this boat, but better late than drowning.
I loooooove it.
Will love it even more when I can really SEE the pictures
(see note above...)
I've started a page, I tried to name it fresh vintage home,
but I believe its under my name Jodi Green.
Feel free to follow if you would like,
and at some point I will figure out how to do a pin button on here....
some day....

Now, the kitchen.
These are photo's that my mother in law took a few weeks ago while here. 
Her camera is much better than mine, so I am stealing borrowing
her photo's so you all can REALLY see the difference!
Jeff and I did it all ourselves except for hiring
a plumber to move the sink, and electricians to fix
the crazy wiring, and a handyman to take down the wall
adding a support beam. 
The rest was ALL us.
Anything that is not perfect we call character.
And we will just leave it at that.
ok? K.
Because I love it so much!

Before we moved in:
New sink now here, and wall above is gone



Looking from stove towards the Laundry Room

Note the "hole" under the microwave and doorway to the right that went to the Master & Bathroom

The wall to the left is the wall we partially removed. We kept both china cabinets intact.


Laundry Room when moved in.




Progress.....We changed some little stuff
and lived with it for a year like this...




I painted the walls a khaki color, painted over the dark grey colored trim, made the alcove into a chalkboard, and covered the hole with a fabric skirt.
The fan was so close to the stove it had melted in spots...yikes.

 The lighting was awful at night, the flooring made us dizzy, and it was so closed off from the rest of the living spaces. The new cabinetry we purchased from Craigslist was custom made for a different kitchen, so we used blue tape on the counters to mark the segments of cabinets.  We had to cut apart one cabinet and also get creative to fill the gaps.


 More piles in the laundry room.  The mess was because we had started to empty out
the armoire and cabinets below.  We had used the large Armoire for small appliances, and the small table for folding laundry.  Jeff had built small shelving for the cans.


Then, with much anticipation, we started to tear things up!
We removed all the stuff from the Laundry room.


As we started to remove the soffit we found a web of wiring that needed to
be professionally redone.


We had to pile kitchen stuff all over the house. This is the corner where we eventually closed off the doorway.


There were so many paint colors and types of wall surfaces. Some cement board,
some drywall, some plaster.



We framed in the doorway between the kitchen and Master bedroom & Bathroom.
It made the hallway darker, but we love the way it makes the area feel like
a master suite!

 The day the wall came down we did a happy dance!  The difference was amazing!

This is from the dining room side looking in. We still needed to change the lighting, flooring, moldings around the windows and opening, counters, etc.

Working on the finishing details....

We bought legs at Lowes, painted them to match, 
and inserted them into the cabinet on each side.
 It worked perfectly.

We installed the laminate tiles with real grouting.  They look real, and are much warmer on our feet.  The cabinets were 30" cabinets, so we had to raise them and install a tall
base board under them.

 Jeff built the moulding for the windows and I primed them before installing them.

 This is one of the butcher block counter tops from Ikea. Its the 1 1/2" Oak.
We had to cut it to fit around the farm sink. After trying to use the router,
Jeff found a chisel and hammer to be the most effective.
We used the sealer recommended at Ikea, but I would like to stain it darker
and put a heavy finish on it.
This is the new counter in the laundry room. We installed the uppers, and
then I refinished a huge dresser & distressed it. Then Jeff added the legs
and countertop.  We also added subway tile, but its not installed yet in this photo.
The breadbox is a gift from my son. He made it for me:)

 We re-hung the antique cabinet in the Laundry room above the washer & dryer.
Jeffs grandpa made it for his mom when she was a little girl. She
kept her doll collection in it.  I loooooove it!

Jeff installing the subway tile in the kitchen.

This is NOW....
 We used a leftover upper cabinet to fill in the hole under the microwave. It holds all my cookbooks and baking dishes as well as baking ingredients. The white wood wainscotting is actually a neighbors pine flooring they were tossing. We primed and painted it to add character. You cant even tell there was a door next to the microwave!


 Looking from the kitchen to the dining room.

 Ok, so I wish the red towel wasnt on the stove here...but thats real life. ha ha.

 Kitchen to laundry room

I'm such a happy girl!
Thank you for stopping by
xoxoxo

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/15/2012

    LOVE it!! Can you come fix my house to look as amazing as yours!!!

    Love you, friend!!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I would love to come and get creative with you again! A Summer visit sometime would be fun, then we could sit out by your pool and soak up the warmth! Miss you xoxox
      Jodi

      Delete
  2. Your kitchen is AWEsome!

    I like the flow and how you chose to bring the flow from the dining room and on into the laundry area. To me if the kitchen is the hub of the house...the laundry room is just an extension of that space. You created this very well!
    I also think that counter with the dresser in the laundry is so vintage!

    great job, you should be happy.

    ~Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! I am enjoying doing laundry again...sort of:) ha ha.

      Delete
  3. I love how the whole things flows... the laundry room so close by looks wonderful being similar to the kitchen! It looks fabulous and open too... and the windows on each side of the stove would make me want to cook more :) LOVE the subway tile and hope to use it myself someday (it's only been 7 years) in our bathroom that needs a redo desperately! We too used IKEA butcher block counter tops.... it wasn't' something we were thinking of until I came across them on another blog or two. So happy we did, I LOVE them even now that they're showing a bit of the "lived in" look. It's funny how things work out too since we had scored a free vintage farmhouse sink with built in drainboards on Craig's List that fit our odd shaped kitchen beautifully... the fortunate part is that since we opted to use butcher block counters the install was easier than the planned soapstone... especially when my husband had to use his router to make indents where the drainboard are... we didn't realize that part of the sink was lower! He would have been very unhappy trying to rework soapstone!

    Great job!
    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, Your kitchen is so adorable! Have you had any problems with the butcher block splitting slightly where it gets wet? We put 3 coats of the Ikea recommended finish on it and have a couple problem areas. Im still contemplating sanding it down and staining darker for a little more contrast. My husband noticed that I have been cooking much more often:) Must be the sun coming in those windows. Have a great weekend!
      Jodi

      Delete
  4. Hi Jodi!

    Wow, I completely LOVE your kitchen/dining/laundry redo! You and your hubby did a fantastic job!!! I love how it all worked out so beautifully AND on a budget too! :) Our fixer upper home is in dire need of a redo as well!!! :) Thank you kindly for your visit to my blog (and for your sweet comment), so that I could find my way onto your blog. :) Looking forward to visiting your site again!

    Enjoy your weekend!


    ~Jessie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie, Thank you so much for stopping by my blog:) Its fun fixing up an older home and having to be creative is my favorite part. I look forward to following along with you as you work on your house and your dreams:)
      Jodi

      Delete

Please let me know you stopped by!