7.18.2013

The Making of a Family Heirloom Cookbook

Way back in the Early 2000's
when I thought overalls were cool... shabby was 
JUST getting chic...
and I had dried flowers and raffia decorating my the walls leftover from
the 1990's...
Way back when I still had young children in elementary school... 
who didn't cringe with the embarrassment
of mom dropping them off at the bus stop in my pajamas because
we overslept...
(Yes, WAY back then)

I had an idea.
An idea that would make me mom of the year.
Other moms would want to come to my home and sit around the 
dining room table and drink coffee with cream
 and share secret recipes and traditions and stories about their families .
Yes, I was going to make THE most amazing cookbook full of
family recipes, old pictures, and stories of
our very own Green Family Traditions.
Just the five of us.
The family who celebrates EVERYTHING with food.
A little bit of my husbands family...A little bit of my family...
But completely OUR family.

So, 
I woke up in the middle of the night to write down stories that came to me. 
 I daydreamed as I soaked in the bath at night about this
idea that could make me famous.
After all,
shouldn't every home have a cookbook to pass down that includes traditions & history?



My grandma Robbins inspired me.  When she passed away my dad gave me a pile
of her cookbooks. I loved going through them because she always made
a note with the date she made the recipe and who she was with.
It wasn't just a recipe, it was a cherished memory. A family event.
I loved this idea, and I soooo loved her!
(That is an color photo of her original cookbook I have)



 I dug through boxes of old photographs while the kids where at school.
I shopped the scrapbook store and picked out pretty papers.
And I began to TYPE, and SNIP and PASTE and SCAN photo's.





Until about day 5...
That's when I stopped. Just because.
I thought I had a lot of time to get it finished. 
I tucked all my pictures, recipes, stories and famous aspirations into a notebook.
It got pushed aside with the other cookbooks, and moved along with us to 2 new homes. And there it stayed...bits and pieces of my dream to pass onto my children...
until last Fall.




*****

There is something surreal about watching your daughter get married.
The bittersweet realization that she belongs to another family now
as well as her own, and will soon be making
 family traditions with her own husband... and someday children.


I had flashbacks of our family sitting around the dining room
table celebrating Birthdays, Christmas & Thanksgiving and Easter.
I pictured many last days of school and going out for ice cream to celebrate.
Memories of neighborhood traditions on the 4th of July with our friends who were like our family away from home.
Snow days with hot chocolate and toast.
Homemade Raspberry jam with biscuits and sausage gravy breakfasts.
The eager little faces ready to help in the kitchen.
My little helpers were all grown up.
Those moments of catching them with their fingers in the cookie jar had passed....
SO QUICKLY.

****


I knew what I had to do.
Within days of returning from the wedding I dug out that old dusty notebook.
I was determined to make a cookbook for my kids!

Thankfully, there are websites and templates to work from now days.
The thought of all that scrap booking times three books...ugh.
However, in my search for exactly what I needed, 
I noticed there are very few websites that allow you to tell stories, add pictures, 
and add extra pages...and I NEEDED extra pages.
About 70 to be exact.






I finally found a GREAT website that had exactly what I was looking for.
(Totally my own opinion!)

My husband joined in, and found all the recipes and I typed them into the template.
I added pictures and stories and traditions from both of our family sides.
It was an honest to goodness work of love!

And the truth is...I'm glad I never finished the book all those years ago.
We weren't done creating family memories of their childhood.


We wrapped them up and gave each child their very own copy of
THE GREEN FAMILY HEIRLOOM COOKBOOK
for Christmas... so that no matter where they go
they will always have a part of their childhood home with them.

xoxo






PS.  In case you were wondering...
Izzy had a great day at the doggy spa!






8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/18/2013

    LOVE the cookbook mom! It was great around the holidays when I wanted to cook up some smells of home :)

    Ps; love the bows in Izzys hair ;) and that last photo before Izzy is an awesome shot!!! You're getting hang of the camera, great job!

    Love you,
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie! I'm having a great time learning. Love you to the moon! xoxox Mom

      Delete
  2. I love this idea!
    My daughter is always making picture books and giving them to me/Us for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas, etc. I think this would be so cool to turn the tables on her and give all my kids a cookbook of our families favorite recipes!
    how sweet that your daughter is certainly appreciative and likes traditional things...like her MOM!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! It sounds like you have a very sentimental sweet girl too. I think your daughter would be so happy if you surprised her with a cookbook! Keep me up to date, I'd love to see how it turns out. Have fun!! xo

      Delete
  3. Jodi I absolutely love this! What a gift you have given your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny! It was worth the time and effort. If you make one, be sure to order one for yourself too. I use mine all the time!

      Delete
  4. Auntie Barb7/19/2013

    You did an awesome job. How sweet for the kids to have this wonderful book of memories. You are good. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunt Barb! Did you see yourself in some of those pictures? Makes me smile. So happy you are a part of the cookbook & story. Love you too!

      Delete

Please let me know you stopped by!