8.13.2013

The Boy, The Bodysuit and a Bond of Friendship...


My first recollection of having a best friend was 
when I was in 3rd grade.  
I had playmates and cousins and a little sister.
But my very first BEST friend was Lee.
Yes, a BOY.
We lived in a teenie little town in North Dakota just outside of the Air Force Base
my dad was stationed at. We spent our time laughing, riding bikes,
exploring an abandoned house, catching snakes and climbing trees.
He was my first friend that, even at 8 years old, I felt I could be completely
myself with. And he liked me anyway. 

When I was a toddler I had a medical condition that was repaired but left me prone to accidents if unable to reach the bathroom immediately.
I outgrew the problem, but
I had accidents in elementary school A LOT.
My mom, who would've held my hand all day at school if she was allowed, told
the teachers to never make me wait to use the restroom.
As kids can be, they were not very kind, and I was called
"Jodi pee pee pants", "Jodi stinky pants" and the like.
I was a beautiful little girl with long golden blond hair and my mom dressed me meticulously, often making my clothes herself.
I was NOT stinky.
I did, however, have a nervous habit of chewing pencils, eating paste and erasers and writing on my desk with pencils. 
I had the meanest teacher that had to be 100 years old in 1975.
She did not like me and made me sit with my desk pushed up against hers in front of the entire class!  One day she looked at my desk and decided I needed
to show the class how to clean a dirty desk.
She sent me to the custodian closet to get the janitors cart.
On my way I decided to use the restroom because I was scared to death to get up in front of all those kids! And having an accident then would have killed me.

On this particular day my mother had me dressed in the most adorable
brown bodysuit (circa 1975) with a cute white daisy at the neck.
For those of you who don't know what a body suit is, its a shirt you tuck in your pants and snap at the crotch.
In my hastiness to get back to class, I had forgotten one very important step...

As I pushed the custodial cart into the classroom
there was a roar of laughter.
My bodysuit was hanging over my pants...unsnapped.

I honestly don't remember one more thing about that day.
But I do remember this...
Lee never stopped being my friend.
He didn't care that I ate glue, pencils, erasers or even wet my pants sometimes.
He was my best friend.

Then, his family moved and I never heard from him again. Eventually, the Air Force moved us too.
 
*****

I am so grateful that my entire life has been filled overflowing with friendships.
Different friends at different season in my life, but all very special.
I didn't realize it until later in life, but I learned all I needed to know
about friendship from my first best friend at the tender age of 8.


1.  Don't judge someone because they eat paste! Everyone has their own burden or story to tell. Give them a chance to share it. Be compassionate and show unconditional kindness towards others obstacles. Don't crush someone's spirit.

2.  Just be yourself!  You can catch snakes even if you are a girl in a cute dress and ponytails. Be true to who you are, with a smile on your face. Don't let the unkind opinion of others drive you to chew your pencils! There are so many others who will love you just the way you are.

3.  Have fun and take a risk! Explore the abandoned building...but be home by dark so you don't come home to an empty house with a creepy oil painting staring at you while your family is out searching for you! (note from experience)

4. Invite them to your party! Let everyone else get to know the person you
enjoy so much.  Laugh, play games, sing and eat cake. 

5.  Sometimes we don't get to stay in touch and it's okay! Every friendship has a purpose and is a blessing. Some are meant to last forever, and some only last 20 minutes while you are waiting for your oil to be changed in your car.
But once that person has entered your life, you are forever different. Make those moments count!

5. People change!  I'm sure you are curious to know....I don't eat paste or erasers anymore. Give others (and yourself!) the opportunity to change. Be an encourager, but love them (and yourself!) where they are. Life is a journey that we are all traveling at our own pace.


xoxo
Jodi

 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/14/2013

    JG, I'm thankful to have you & your family in my life forever, that doesn't come everyday!! You are more then just a season to me! Your my sister... I love you

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know you stopped by!