8.12.2013

Fort Nisqually at Pt. Defiance Park

This week my son, Jordon, and I went on a little field trip.
We packed ham sandwiches,
wheat thins, and yummy fruit pies into our little cooler.

We hopped into the car and drove about 45 minutes
over the Tacoma Narrows bridge
and into Point Defiance Park in Tacoma, WA.

Pt. Defiance has a wonderful Aquarium and Zoo,
beautiful flower gardens and
a 5 mile scenic road. There are bike paths
and hiking trails and it is doggy friendly
with a no leash park that is ACRES big.

Can I come with you!!??

We left Izzy at home since it was a hot day
and we were going to explore Ft. Nisqually 
(which is doggy free)

When I was little, I lived in Lacey, WA. 
One summer my grandma came to visit us from Wisconsin.
My mom, sister and I took her here. 
We loved it!
I think my elementary school came here on a field trip too.
Back then they had a Never Never Land Park next to the Fort. 
It was full of nursery rhyme characters.
Sadly, that part of the park isn't there anymore.








I really appreciate that my 19 year old son
enjoyed hanging out all day with his old mom. He was more interested
in the history than I was. 
I was into the architecture and gardens. 
He took some of these pictures,
and I think he did a great job!








This was the view from the top of the look out tower into the Fort.
And out towards Puget Sound. Beautiful.




This man is an actual iron smith who volunteers at the park.
He was making historically correct puzzle toys out of iron.
They sell the puzzles in the gift shop.


Jordon had a fun time trying to figure it out.
Eventually the man was kind enough to show us how its done.
But not until he had a good laugh at us first!
I had to think of my dad (who passed away in 2007) when I saw
some of these puzzles. He loved that sort of thing and
would've wanted to replicate it himself. I love those random moments that 
remind me of my sweet daddy. They are a gift I cherish.




This was the sale shop, where pioneers would trade/sell/buy all their supplies.










My favorite was the Factor's House. Its the only residence on the Fort.
Families would live outside the Fort in their own residences.
But the Factor's family lived on the Fort in this
four room painted house that was very high quality for the time with wallpaper
and 2 bedrooms.  When important guests came to the Fort, they stayed
in the Factor's house. The kitchen was located outside as well as the outhouses.


Factors House master bedroom

Each room of the house has wallpaper. 

The ceilings are board and batten.

The Children's room.



Fort kitchen sinks.
This is a room in the Labor's housing, they would've been single and shared the two room house.


I really liked the garden area and the chicken coop.
It was made with maple saplings.






Chicken Coop



Chicken Coop with maple sapling fencing

Raspberries

After leaving the Fort, we drove along the 5 mile drive. 
Here are a few viewpoints along the way.

Looking toward Gig Harbor, WA


Vashon Island Ferry in the distance

North towards Vashon Island

Looking west towards the Tacoma Narrows Bridges


If you are looking for a fun day trip with a lot to do and see,
I would definitely visit Pt. Defiance Park. Its free to drive the scenic route and
walk the many, many trails. There is a fee to go to the Fort or the Zoo.

Happy Travels!

xoxo

Jodi

PS. After the Park...we headed to REI to look at snowboarding stuff and then to Sonic to try the new pretzel hotdogs
with a nice cold cherry lime-aide. 
YUM :) 



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/12/2013

    Love it JG, Beautiful pictures!! such a sweet moment with the baby boy :) Love Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know you stopped by!