9.09.2013

Apples & A Gentlemans Farm

Saturday was a gorgeous day.
It was the first day of sunshine and warm weather in over a week.
We had record rainfall the few days prior.

It was a perfect day to spend with my dear friend Tami 
picking apples and enjoying the peace
and quiet of their little farm.







They have 4 cows and a goat.
I just love cows. 
They have beautiful eyes and I love to hear them moo. 



Tami planted 2 huge gardens. This one is full of veggies and sunflowers. 
They had to put an electric fence around it because the
cows think its a buffet.


You can find these home made bird houses all over their property. 
Don't you love the branches attached to the outside?
They are always full of birds in the Spring.



This is Tami's daughter, Jessica.
She just graduated high school and earned her Associate Degree at the same time.
She also just returned from spending most of the
summer with Children of the Nation in Sierra Leone.




More of the cows. They are Jessica's babies.



I took Izzy out to the farm with me. 
I thought she would like to run around.
She had never seen a cow or chicken before.
The cows were not impressed.


Do you see that faint line above?
That would be the electric fence wire meant to keep 
the cows in the pasture.
In my attempt to get a super cute up close shot
I nearly killed myself.
Ok, Ok, maybe thats a little dramatic.
But I didn't know it was there until I rested my arm on it!

Tami felt so bad as I began to cry and laugh at the same time.
It seems her husband had just increased the power hours before.
Yep, it was nice and hot.
But I got the cute close up shot of the calf above.
So worth the drooling & tingling left side.
Ok, Ok, more drama.
But it did hurt, y'all!


Moving on.
This is an old grape arbor. Its pretty cool to sit under.
It is loaded with grapes.




On the back side of their property Tami planted another garden
for pumpkins and squash.
The dots of orange are popping up through the green.
It really is starting to look like Fall!





After picking apples we went spent our time out on the deck
peeling and slicing apples for apple sauce.
We also used my seal-a-meal to pre-package apple pie filling.
You just put an entire recipe for apple pie filling
into a bag and seal it up!
Later, when you want a pie or apple crisp you defrost 
and its done. Except for the pie crust, of course.
Just that easy!



Isn't this a lovely place to sit and relax on a hot late Summer day?



I also wanted to mention this beautiful artwork!
Tami's grandma painted the following pictures.
Tami treasures them more than ever because her grandmother
 recently passed away. She was in her 90's.
I think they are incredible!



She painted these portraits from photographs of children in
Sierra Leone. 
Tami is the Sponsorship Coordinator for COTN.
Both Jessica and Tami have been able to meet the many
children they sponsor there.



Thank you sweet friend for the fun day at your home.
I can't wait to make a pie with the apples!!
xoxo
PS.  Izzy says she is sorry for leaving you "presents" on the carpet
and that she will have better manners next time!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know you stopped by!