7.10.2011

calves, curds & a LOT of words!

If you have followed my blog this year
you may remember that my daughter and I 
drove from Washington State
 to Pennsylvania in April.
As a 19 year old,
she is experiencing life away from home
for the first time....and thriving!

Today, as I was looking through our trip pictures
and missing her, I thought of all
the fun things we shared together that week.

Like the Semi truck that tailgated our teeny tiny car at 85 mph....eeek!

She never complained about my ooooo
and awwwww's when I'd spy a 
big white farmhouse and red barn in the distance.
She would grab the camera & shoot!
We laughed while searching for radio stations, 
belting out lyrics to sad country songs...
all the while connecting in a special new way.

 I felt her enthusiasm and anticipation for
a new start. I remembered being 18
and living on my own for the 
first time. 
She is starting her own story now,
and I couldn't be prouder!

While we drove through the states, I shared stories of
growing up as a Air Force "brat".
Like the time we moved from North Dakota to Washington 
when I was 8. My little sister and I laid in the
over-the-cab bed of our camper watching for
the "mountains" that we had never seen before.
With every big white fluffy cloud in the horizon, I would
ask my parents "is THAT a mountain"?
Finally, the Rockies emerged in all their magnificent splendor.


The highways in North Dakota are very "wavy" and
we laughed as our tummies "tickled" traveling 85 m.p.h.
over the bumps, much like mine did when I was
5 years old.  I would stand in the middle of the 
front seat of my dads old truck saying "tickle my tummy, daddy!"
as he would speed up on the old dirt roads.
"Wheeeeee" I would yell out.

Minnesota reminded me of age 12, and the short 6 months we lived in
northern Minnesota.  The snow was as deep as our
rooftops, and the "no see ums" would 
eat us alive in the spring.  The town celebrated
"St. Urtho" day with giant grasshopper float.
And for some reason I remember singing along to the
Bee Gee's as I tried to stay awake for the 7th grade
sleepovers.

But by far the state with the most memories of my
early childhood was Wisconsin.
My parents met there, I was born there and
my mom's family is from there.

While we were there we visited with my Aunt Barb and Uncle Dale.
Barb is my fathers sister. She moved from Arkansas to
Wisconsin when I was very young. She never left.

I remember living in a single wide trailer in a small park
just across the field from my grandparents 
corner store.  My sister and I would walk across 
the field as my mom watched from the front steps.
There was a "scary" house along the way with a
crab apple tree.  The crabby lady would yell
at us to stay away from her tree. Perfect tree for her, I guess!
Gramma and Grampa Hunt had a lot of penny candy.
 I especially loved
the root beer barrels, candy necklaces, and bazooka gum.
This is where gramma and grampa's store used to be...
now its a big gas station

ok, this is a creepy photo...but the white trailer is where ours used
to be and the car is where I wrecked my bike...after 35 years,
the park is still there.  A little creepier...but hey.

It was in that trailer park that I got my first stitches.
You would think it's common sense to not close your eyes
and let go of the handlebars while playing follow the leader
on your bike.
 yah, I know....
I have a scar to prove it.

As a child,
we spent alot of time at The Eau Claire Dells
 catching tadpoles in the spring
 and jumping into piles of leaves in the Fall.
When Aunt Barb took us there in April, I was flooded with memories
of my mom and I in the park.
Funny Aunt Barb and my daugher at the Dells


 





We also saw the saw bags on the Maple trees as
the farmers were collecting sap for
Maple Syrup.  I remember going
to a Maple Syrup farm when I was in 
kindergarten.  WAY back then
the farmers used metal buckets on the trees.
I think the bags probably keep a lot more bugs out!

Sap bag on Maple tree

"Honey, I bought us a vacation home in Wisconsin" hee hee


We visited Uncle Dales family dairy farm.
My daughter said they were the biggest cows she had 
EVER seen. 
She really enjoyed seeing
 (not so much SMELLING) 
the dairy farm.
Especially the sweet little calves.
I told her to stick out her fingers....

This little black cutie thought she made a good snack too.
Of course, all that sightseeing made us hungry!
You can't visit Wisconsin and not get
fresh cheese curds!





We visited Bonnie, my moms best friend since childhood.

  When I was in 7th grade
we lived near Altoona.  My sister and I would go to 
Bonnie's after school and watch Loony Tunes.
 We thought she had the best toast.
Weird the things you remember!


We drove by the house my Aunt Bobbi lived in
before moving to Arizona. Even at 13, I appreciated 
things like a old staircase and built in cupboards.
I remember BBQ's in the backyard with my cousins.


A few blocks away was my grandma Hunt's house.
She could play the piano so beautifully. She
always listened to Paul Harvey's "the rest of the story"
and had a ton of M.A.D. magazines for us to read.



I am so grateful for the time I spent with Aunt Barb and Uncle Dale!
It had been 30 years since I'd been back.  It meant 
so much to share these childhood memories with my daughter.

After a few days in Wisconsin, we drove to PA.....
but I will share more about that leg of the trip
tomorrow.  Come back to hear
"the rest of the story"

xoxoxo
Jodi

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful trip down memory lane and sharing it with your daughter was another new wonderful memory.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know you stopped by!