3.12.2011

Cell phone camera tells history...

Today is E.S.T.I.M.A.T.E day...woooo hoooo!
It is pouring rain....like by the bucket!
A good day to stay in and practice taking photo's.....
with my cell phone.
It actually is a better camera than my point and shoot.
This is when the great photographers may
want to turn away and save themselves!
hee hee

For fun...I went around and took some pictures of my
decor.  This is one of the old books on our 115 year
old piano...The piano actually came over in a
COVERED WAGON!
My husbands great grandmother ordered
it from a catalog in the 1890's.
Can you imagine the stories it could tell!!
We don't know how to play the piano, but having it in our
home reminds us of Gramma
Brask *LOVE*

This is one of two bookshelves that flank the fireplace. I
would like to do something special to the backs
of these shelves like beaded board or music sheets. Any other ideas?
 I have my grandma's eyeglasses, my grampa's
Bible, and my husbands grandpa's clock on display.
PaPa Brask collected clocks and often repaired them. I love all
the old clock keys we have that were his too.
When he passed away, each of the great grandchildren
received a special clock.
 Every time it *gongs* it fills
our home with a peaceful presence. When I hear
my husband wind it up, I know he is thinking
of his grandpa. He was an amazing man!
This is a picture of my grandparents when they were first married!
They lived in Centerton, Arkansas on a farm. I
LOVE my grandpa's overalls. He had them on all the time!
Some of my best memories are of feeding calves, riding ponies,
fishing for catfish in his ponds, and finding
kittens under their house when I was a little girl.
This is a cool doorknob my husband found for me at
 Goodwill, ha ha...for just two BUCKS!
 I love it when you find that someone totally
made a pricing error!  I also love that HE was so excited to show
me what he found:)  The Black book is another of
my grandpa's Bibles. It has his dirt finger prints on the pages! I picture him
in the barn, taking a break from milking the cows by hand,
and grabbing his Bible for a quick reflection.
Old books...LOVE old books!  The concrete bird used to be on a
very old birdbath that came with our Whidbey Island house. One
morning when I looked out,  it was in a million pieces in the yard.
I think a racoon jumped on it or something. Anyhow, under all
the broken pieces I found the unscathed bird. I liked it the best anyways!
Just practicing with fading and stuff...nothin special here.

This is the other shelf in the living room. The black clock
belonged to my great grandparents in Arkansas. Sadly,
this one doesn't work...and has crayon marks on the clock
face from either my sister or I. I find that
somewhat enduring, actually. Anyhow, there
are some photo's of our parents and my niece & doggy,
and daughter.  The old finials are from the ugly
fence posts at this house. I kicked out the posts...and
displayed the finials. I was so excited too, crazy
what a weathered finial would cost in a decorating magazine.
And I enjoyed kicking the rotted posts down too:)

What do YOU have in your home that reminds you of where you came from??
Have A Happy Saturday Friends!!

I hope you have warm sunshine and chirpy birds singing at YOUR house!
(and to my mother and father in law...
ALOHA...enjoy your day on the beach! We are soooo glad you
are safe after the Tsunami scare xoxoxo)


2 comments:

  1. Love your vignettes and family history memories. Its kind of a sad time with the tragedies in Japan.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy! The devastation in Japan is unimaginable! Praying for the
    people there and the families waiting to hear from them.
    *Jodi*

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know you stopped by!